Welcome to Cole and Tommy's Blog! We'll be posting current photos, videos and updates here so you can watch them grow right along with us. Be sure to check back frequently... and feel free to post comments and feedback.

Enjoy!


Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Our worst nightmare...

Well...I lived my worst nightmare yesterday.  Tommy had a seizure.  I walked into the kitchen and found him on the floor, eyes rolled back, blue lips, gagging on his tongue and completely unresponsive.  I grabbed him, the phone and called 9-1-1.   As soon as I turned him on his side, he started vomiting.  It was horrific.  He wasn't trembling at all...I had no idea what was happening and only a mother can fully understand that kind of panic and terror.  Luckily, the EMT's were right up the street and arrived within minutes.  

My neighbor ran over to watch Cole and Grant until my parents arrived and off we went to the ER.  When we arrived, Tommy's temp was 103.5.  They controlled the seizure, gave him a super dose of medicine to bring down his fever and we waited it out.  He had a febrile seizure which is caused by a sudden spike in temperature.  According to the doctors, it is something that happens to 1 in 20 children...so it's common.  But seeing my Tommy like that...that is NOT common...not something I ever want to experience again.  It was heartbreaking.  It took my poor baby about two hours to return to his happy go lucky self.  Even then...he was exhausted and confused.  He slept for a good portion of it.  Here you can see his little flushed cheeks.  Still feverish.



Just when we thought it was all over, I came home to find Cole lethargic and spiking a temp of 102.6...then Grant started in on it.  The temperature spikes have to be the craziest part of it all.  One minute the boys are happy and cool...then the next?  Feverish and miserable.  After a memorable trip to the doctor's (Kevin is away so my parents came with us for support) we learned that all three boys have the flu.  Grant has the mildest case (as usual) and they gave him Tamiflu to help prevent it getting any worse.  Tommy and Cole were in the thick of it.  

Everyone slept in mommy's room that night.  Grant beside us in his bassinet.  This was how they looked when we surfaced in the morning.  It was a long night.  Poor Cole needed two baths to bring down the fevers.  At 3:30 we were all up drinking milk and watching cartoons.  Despite it being a long one...we snuggled and really had some cute moments.  My best pals.



I think we're on an upswing finally.  It's 11:30 on Tuesday night and I think that the fevers (knock on wood) have left the building!  Thank goodness.  Let's hope we never have to relive that again.  Thank god it wasn't anything serious...and I have my little guys on the mend!

3 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

From working in Pediatrics and Pediatric ICU, I can tell you those really, really are rare. And, since the seizure was febrile he will be just fine. But, yes, Mommies always need hugs of reassurance! Glad the boys are starting on the road to complete recovery. The incubator called preschool send these flu bugs home. Take care of you and the boys!

Kristen said...

I love you. I love you. I love you. You are amazing. There are times when I wish we just lived right down the street..... So... even those he had one, and it was febrile - the good news is even though it is common - it is still pretty rare. There is a really great possibility that this could be his only one. You know what I mean? And... I've never known a kid who grew up "addicted to Tylenol" ... so if it looks like he is coming down with something, you might just want to give him something. When can you guys bring a camper down here? You can park it in my driveway. :) Did I mention I love you?

Kelly Kathleen said...

Aww Kerry that sounds so scary! I am so, so happy that the boys are all okay!! Send them love from cousin Kelly for me!! <3